Wednesday, October 20, 2010

dream a little dream of me

Ive been having really vivid and numerous dreams every night since arriving in courtelary and sleeping in the circus van. A lot of dreams involving high school as well. Not sure what that is all about.

Finished TROPIC OF CANCER today. Started it 4 or 5 days ago and its the first I have done any reading on the trip. Felt good to be reading again. Henry Miller`s writing flows for a great poetic pace at high speed creating wonderfully worded passages. An inspiring tale of people living freely, cheaply and happily wherever they can in Paris. It feels good to finish a novel, even when the novel captivates you through and through. A bittersweet feeling of accomplishment, like climbing a mountain and overlooking the vista created by standing at the peak.

I have eaten so well since being in switzerland. It has been 10 days since I have arrived and I have consumed more and better food than I did in the first three weeks of the trip. Priska`s home cooking has been incredible. I have been on a pretty normal schedule, going to bed fairly early and always waking by 830 am to enjoy a good breakfast, usually consisting of oat flakes (which are pressed and turned, by me, from the grain through a grinder creating the flakes) for a nice bowl of hot oatmeal with raisins, almonds, pumpkin seeds, spelt or whatever else I can find in the huge assortment of add ons in the large and healthy, organic kitchen. I have been eating 3 meals a day which always consist of homemade, delicious bread, a variety of amazing cheese from the area...real swiss cheese!, peanut butter (100 percent peanuts, no added sugar like american peanut butter), and other assortment of toppings for the bread. ALl the food prepared is all veggie and all delicious. I have not had so much cheese in all my life.

From TROPIC OF CANCER:
"Do anything, but let it produce joy. Do anything, but let it yield ecstasy."

"Today I am proud to say that I am inhuman, that I belong not to men and governments, that I have nothing to do with creeds and principles. I have nothing to do with the creaking machinery of humanity -- I belong to the Earth!"

"...There is no other path to pursue. A man who belongs to this race must stand up on the high place with gibberish in his mouth and rip out his entrails."

"...to be human seems like a poor, sorry, miserable affair, limited by the senses, restricted by moralities and codes, defined by platitudes and isms.+

10/19
An incredible evening starting out playing swiss monopoly with Miros and Jerimo buying cities in Switzerland at every opportunity spending every cent I have as the prime example of the American capitalist I am. Whatever I can get my hands on. No land is off limits to America! A break took place to participate in a touching, meditative sing along at the biweekly session taking the place of usual regional visitors missing out, joining Andi playing guitar and bongo, Priska`s beautiful lead voice, and elderly yet youthful and vibrant happy go lucky woman, Royo as cheerful as always, the timid voice of Miros, the pleasantly surprising sultry voice of the Slovakian goddess, the regular cough from the down and out sick Miramo and me, the added male voice adding confidence to the world songs from gypsies, jews, swiss, english, french and elsewhere singing blessings for peace, love and pleasant days on pillows on the floor in the televisionless common room of the large home if there ever was such a place to welcome outsiders and friends as one interconnected unit through love, warmth, music, laughter and acceptance as participants of this beautiful world.

Switzerland has been good to my body, mind and soul. I will never forget this land. But for now, I have another handful of days to soak up.

1 comment: