Friday, October 15, 2010

Keeping warm by the fire in a circus van!

For the past few days, my home has been in a traveling (but currently stationary) circus van in the backyard of a 200 year old huge home shared by 3 families and 1 single musician with a few common areas and their own living spaces. I have been eating like a fucking king here. I work 4 hours a day mostly just mixing joint filler and applying the mixture to previously put together calk walls (?), which apparently is made from heated stone...wonder if its the same as the calk we squeeze from a tube...anyway, 4 hours of work at my own schedule for 3 meals, a bed and the beautiful jura mountains.

Today, I explored those mountains. After a delicious lunch of homemade olive cake (green olives, green peppers, tomato paste, spelt and sunflower seeds), I went on an epic 4 or 5 hour hike, barely making it back for dinner before the sky went dark. I climbed and climbed until I made it to the top, passing through a dense forest of fallen leaves providing my path amongst the array of autumn colors with towering trees all around. No other animal or person in sight until every so ofter, I would hear the bells of cows waiting in a field up ahead. I eventually made it to my destination, which priska had provided clues and a map to find. Creaux de Glace (hole of ice). I had forgotten that I was in search of a cave and only rememberd the ice part. This place was a beautiful sight that upon arriving at, I just stood in awe of. A huge hole below me that you could climb down into, so I climbed. Regretting not bringing my hiking shoes on the trip, I took hold of the chain and went down the steep rocky and muddy entrance to the dark dark cave. With my headlamp on, I made it to the bottom to find 2 large masses of ice within. A place where ice exists every day of every year. I took some time to take it in in the cool air and knew I had to head back before the darkness set in. Climbing up was a bit tricky but felt great to be climbing! Something not many humans will see, but worth every effort to get to.

10/3
New City. Berlin. New Country. Germany. New people, interactions and friendships.

10/5
3 days of nonstop drinking. Popping in and out of bars, cafes and mostly kiosks, or what I know as convenience stores, open 24 hours selling large bottles of beer for cheap, in a city where you can walk and drink wherever you please. Beer, absinthe, and wine makes for a late start to any day in Berlin, where the life doesnt wake til the sun goes down over the grey, dreary buildings and streets of alternative people, hippies, yuppies, gutter punks, hipsters, poets and arists of all types.

Weighed myself today, 60 kg. equals 132 pounds. I have lost close to 10 pounds in the past month. From the bags, the ridiculous amount of walking, little consumption of food and lots of beer. Im not being completely kind or healthy to my body, however it has not failed me. The pain in my middle finger hasnt exactly left and my foot has the occassional remnant of pain.

...I dont need much to live. Friends, little food, beer and a couple changes of clothes. The occassional shower or washing.

To Travel and experience places and people far from your home is the greatest and most unique thing separating humans from other species. The ability to go anywhere at any time is such a gift of this life. The friendships made and immeasurable experiences gained teaching the secrets in the depths of ones soul and mind in overcoming fears and obstacles of the psyche. There is no reason to fear humans. Awareness and attentiveness provide a sense unlike the others. To pick up the negativity and attract positive energy is one of the keys to a fully lived life.

Upon arrival into berlin, it was evident I would fit into this thriving young counter culture, after dropping off my bags at my home for the next 5 days, I set off to meet my host. A walk through a completely dark Mauer park would normally warn me of potentially dangerous possibilities in the crime filled big cities of America, but in Berlin is full of children riding bikes, young people laughing and playing over beers and joints, a group playing boche ball in the pocket of moonlight as I continued on the 15 minute walk to the tunnel providing music and drunken dancing as people gathered all night in the closed off street to celebrate the anniversary of east and west berlin becoming one.

JCN

No comments:

Post a Comment